Wednesday, April 13, 2005

hello, teacher.

"A mechanism of world inter-communication will be devised, embracing the whole planet, freed from national hindrances and restrictions, and functioning with marvellous swiftness and perfect regularity."
(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 203)

I woke up a quarter to 6:00 AM today and I went to Korea. My friends, it is true. I went there with dishevelled tresses and an empty stomach. For the entire duration of my trip I wore pyjamas. In addition to this monstrosity, it would be good to note that I am completely unfamiliar with the language. My vocabulary consists of one word –kimchee. No, this is not a dream.

I called 28 young Korean children this morning and taught English. I heard the sound of my voice rushing through time-zones, over oceans and valleys and hills and mountains –islands and nations and clouds –cutting through the sky and downwards –like a projectile directed towards a target. And on the other side were these impeccable young souls who were learning a language –speaking a language- that I have learned long ago in a time when catching fireflies was the most important thing I could have done in a week.

I went to Korea and came back a couple hours later knowing that these children will probably someday know much more than I will ever be able to comprehend.

I am a U.S. citizen. I come from a mixed background. I am currently in Canada, and I have taught English in Korea. Through the phone.

Who knew?

No comments: