Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Black and White

Donnie: Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?
Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?




If you’ve seen Donnie Darko, you may be interested in reading this: http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=10_0_2_0

I thought it was an intriguing précis…

This isn’t much of an entry, I realize, but it is in your hands to complete it. If we believe in God how is the notion of fate transformed? How do you look at life?

We are all wearing bunny suits really.

There’s so much I could write about these all too historically-universal questions… but I’d rather discuss.

meet you in comments….



Donnie: My parents didn't get me what I wanted for Christmas.
Dr. Lilian Thurman: What did you want?
Donnie: Hungry Hungry Hippos.
Dr. Lilian Thurman: And how did you feel, being denied these hungry, hungry hippos?
Donnie: Regret.

18 comments:

Payou said...

amazing movie and amazing link i sugest all should read it and see this great movie

Anonymous said...

i hate the fact that i needed somebody else's essay to understand certain parts of that movie.

also...
i think donnie's time-travel was for himself only. it proved the existence of God to him alone. he sacrificed nothing. he was simply a witness to the wonderous mercy of that guy (that guy = God), who showed Himself...who made Himself known...who let the tiny boy see.
what kind of a hero is donnie now?

Anonymous said...

If you believe in God it would be safe to presuppose that there is a sign of God in everything on the spectrum of existence. And the sheer cognisant fact that we exist is a staunch indication of His mercy. If you do not believe in God you are not so different from those that do. For those that believe in God do not believe in the god that those who don’t believe in God don’t believe in.

Donnie was never a hero to begin with. He represents all of us. We are all witnesses to God’s mercy (and if you don’t believe in God go back to my first post and refer to Dan Brown’s definition). God shows Himself to all of us, and makes Himself known to all of us. But it takes effort to recognize this. One has to try. One has to have faith. One has to be open to the idea.

Anonymous said...

has anybody ever seen zina run away from a fly?

zina.
post something else. frank is freaking me out.

Anonymous said...

www.dust.com



teeheehee. polluting your blog.

Zina Irwin Aghdasi said...

"Stella-I-love-you Stella-I-love-you..."

I will consider your request, Dust, to post something "else"... in no way does this mean I will remove this post. Frank will still be there my dear. This was a sorry excuse for a post though. I was hoping it would generate some dialogue. Obviously I have too much faith in people. I hate all of you.

Anonymous said...

I think the bunny was God, and then Donny kills God with a gun, therefore God gets mad and drops an engine on his bed while he is sleeping.


HAHAHAHA im amazing at being trivial and stupid!!

Zina Irwin Aghdasi said...

Mo et al. I created a new comment in the "white balloon" post with the smiling nun as a response to your previous question on the UN.

Anonymous said...

discussion cannot always be had, my dear - however unimaginably intelligent the readers of your blog appear (and don't lose faith - there are some gems out there). sometimes...well sometimes the subject isn't timely. it's summer, flygirl. the time of sin, sloth and stupidity. raise the issues of faith, enlightenment and time travel when the people are reconstructing themselves. like in October or something. otherwise you'll get outrageous claims like dear mo's. slightly amusing, yes. but fluff nonetheless. fluff and dust. i hate dust. in fact i hate you all too.

Zina Irwin Aghdasi said...

T. come on now my dear. Don’t give into this seasonal gravitational pull sort of methodology. Don’t tell me thoughts about faith and enlightenment and (I bite my tongue) time travel will be desiccated if spoken about in July as opposed to November. Don’t try to persuade me to believe that only when the earth is covered with snowflakes and smoke in chimneys will people sit down to have a real conversation. Sin sloth and stupidity (I commend you for using these three words) are there any day of the year to keep you company if you knock on their door. Fluff makes interesting bedfellows.

Let the fluffers tend to their fluff. And let me tend to the things people don’t really want to talk about. This is what this blog is about. I said it from the beginning. I will probably always receive outrageous comments and that is fine. And I will probably write about pretty boring subjects, and many readers will probably leave this blog and start reading other blogs that talk about toiletries and keychains and the likes.

But I will continue. And perhaps finally see clearly through the fluff.

juicemilk said...

Yeah, so, I just got a Myspace because LDizzle made me one. You can find me if you do a search for groups, go to "Dangerously Autonomous" and look under the userpics for me singing karaoke in a gold jacket. I also have an LJ, username m0na_. And the facebook. Sheesh. not to mention the blogger account you will see if you click on my name. Soon I will no longer see anyone in person.

Anonymous said...

When the earth is covered in snowflakes, the people turn inwards.
I'm not saying higher thought cannot happen at other times. Indeed, it is always possible. But because of all the worldly distractions that appear so tantalizing during the summer months, we tend to live in a lower realm for part of the year. Maybe that's just me and my annual cycle....but I swear I've seen it in others as well. I've come to notice that it coincides with the school year. School=life these days. When it's over we shut down. But that's another issue...

At this juncture, I'd like to revoke my comment on your attempt to spark conversation. By all means do it! Spark! At any time of year! I'm grateful to you for doing it...you've certainly set in motion the rusty cogs of my forgotten brain by rejecting my "seasonal gravitational pull sort of methodology" claim. Thanks zeebee. But my fluff warning still stands. You say you were ready for it, but, then, why the loss of faith?

Zina Irwin Aghdasi said...

regret.

Remz Pokorny said...

Hi Zina,

Yeah, I saw the movie a long time ago and hardly got anything out of it. Perhaps I should check out that link indeed.

Payou said...

FREE THE BLOG
readers of Z! I have posted a petition on my blog to get her to post new things and give up Frank the giant bunny rabbit! go and vote and FREE THE BLOG! and help yourself to some cheese and crackers i can also make some chai if you'd like

Anonymous said...

Zina Joon.
We missed you at the YAF.
there was good food.
cheers, b :)

Anonymous said...

wow you are getting some crazy responses nowadays!

its like this blog recently got a good zap of frank's hot sauce!

RANIME TES BABINES!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

darling, don't get me started on Donnie Darko. I own it :-) It's one of my top 3 fave movies of all time. AND I wrote a 10 page paper on the various levels of meaning presented for one of my film classes. I should send it to you!


And you chose my most favorite quotes. I LOVE YOU <3